Anesis Pain Clinics - A Pain in the Anesass

My close friends all know that I am the survivor of a Near Death Experience (NDE). In 1999 while sitting in my 1979 Dodge Truck, which I loved, a semi driver high on cocaine plowed into me while he was doing 55-65MPH. This changed my life forever.

I'll describe the action packed event in a different blog (because if you do survive, only to be injured badly it is kinda exciting to think back on - if only it was a ticket to ride the most violent thing I think I could have experienced behind the wheel of a vehicle).


As you can see, Flaming Amy's thick American steel is a bit wrinkled. My head knocked out the rear window.



This truck had no damaged body panels on it before contact. The tailgate was flat and straight.


Today I'd just like to write about my experience after my beloved doctor retired after 17+ years of saving my life, keeping my body moving with as little pain as possible and generally just being a super person. Dr. Edward Hartzler is no longer practicing and I hope he has his toes in the sand, sailing his boat that I helped make payments on over the years.... maybe even building a nice bungalow with his own bare hands because he was that kind of guy. He also has a rarified 4.85 star rating since practicing medicine in Washington State since 1973.

Anyway, onto Anesis Pain Clinics.  The news you hear about opioid nastiness and overdoses and deaths are not in question by me. People who use them for fun times are playing a risky game. That being said people who are prescribed them because of nerve damage, severe spinal injuries or severe maladies such as cancer or other horrible, godless diseases do not get high off these opioids. It helps them manage their pain so that they are able to function, as best they can, dealing with life. Some, it helps be more physical (thus able to manage weight and do work), others it helps get along with family and friends or to sleep.

I'd wager that Anesis Pain Clinics will end up causing more harm than help to their clients, in the name of the almighty dollar and not doing their due diligence in listening, customizing and contouring their treatments to different cases.

I'm one of the people in the latter category. I have nerve root compression on two levels of my lower spine thanks to Mr. Cocaine Kenworth of CTI in Kent, WA. That truck still is driving by the way - I see it once or twice a month. Good on Kenworth for building such a tank; Kenworth is a Renton, Washington company and I take pride in that.

Opioids do not make me loopy, make my hair stand on end or give me a high. They do a job that surgeries, electrostimulators, IDETsmicrodiscectomies and myriad other treatments have not accomplished: Relieving people who suffer chronic pain due to an injury.

In this way you'd think your Pain Management Doctor would work with you when you spent  5 years trying all sorts of plans with your doctor team to find a balance between slowly killing you with nasty chemicals and you killing yourself because pain is so constant at best and at worst will put you onto shock and drop you to the floor (think Captain Kirk when he's beset upon by some superhuman alien with the loud screechy noise bringing him to his knees). Yes, it sounds funny but in real life it is shocking, painful and the cherry on top of the shit sundae, embarrassing. Followed then by having a nice 15 year run of life.

Anesis Pain Clinics have no interest in helping the latter. If you're injured, too bad. Their aim is to use guidelines set out by... someone.. to be your drug dealer... and hold back until you are on the razors edge of pain. So, all my fellow Square Pegs, prepare to be pigeon holed into a round receiver. You will be assumed to be at risk, assumed to have nefarious reasons for requiring pain assistance even when armed with 15 different MRIs from neurosurgeons, spine surgeons and overwhelming evidence from just about any venue you can imagine.

For instance, I recently tore the meniscus in my knee and will be going into the University of Washington Sports Ortho to have it repaired. My doctor at Anesis told me that they'd want me to stop taking my meds for surgery. She didn't consult the UW, call my doctor, verify my injury (either of them) she just told me to stop taking my pain meds. Cold turkey. I believe this was the most inhumane thing I've ever experienced including being rammed by a 180,000 pound semi being operated by a cocaine addled driver looking to do some urban renewal on Highway 167 in Kent, Washington. Lack Of Communication! (This to to keep you entertained).

My doctors at the University of Washington, of course, said, "no such thing!" 

So, I am about to make my second visit to Anesis. I fully suspect to not be listened to, to be tracked further onto their agenda to be yet another copay, another gateway to take your money only to be treated like a common criminal from these licensed drug dealers armed with the backing of?

I hope you haven't ever needed to make the decision between long term liver and brain alteration and being able to walk, work and function. But if you have, this is one chain store you can skip out of hand. I try to avoid Wal*Mart type operations but I am treated more humanely and kindly at Walmart, by strangers as well as employees!

I do believe I was stuck behind my pain management doctor on the way to work today.


////////

Post appointment followup.

PS - My doctor, a Xi Chen, mis-instructed me two weeks ago and to cover her mess she walked out of my appointment when I followed said instructions. I hate to tell you my fellow injured and chronic pain sufferers, there is no help for you at Anesis. You will be treated like a McDonalds Drive-thru except there is only one thing on the menu: Working you down to being in pain but still come back and pay copay after copay as they are The Purveyors of Vice for Profit. There is no other explanation for their behavior, ineptness and complete lack of sympathy.

Comments

People seem to like:

The Low Odds, High Desirability Event (Cars & Girls)

1998 The Daily 5AM Duel